The Street Department consists of eight full-time employees and four summer workers who maintain the streets and sidewalks in Des Peres.
These individuals either directly or indirectly keep the approximately 48 miles of City streets and walks in good condition by making necessary repairs by performing the following functions:
- Assisting the Parks Department at critical times
- Cutting rights of way
- Maintaining Department equipment
- Maintaining signs
- Providing some services for Public Safety and Public Works department vehicles
- Removing debris
- Responding to a variety of citizen concerns
- Routinely inspecting contractors' work
- Salting and plowing streets
- Trimming trees
Public Works serves as the support arm of the Street Department, and handles their calls of concern, purchasing, and recordkeeping.